FBI Entraps Two More Muslims – by Stephen Lendman
By now, the familiar storyline sounds more like a film plot than criminal indictment, especially when Muslims are involved, and the most recent case repeats the same scenario used last December.
Then it involved Antonio Martinez, aka Muhammad Hussain, accused of plotting to attack an armed forces recruiting center. An undercover FBI agent lawlessly entrapped him, supplying an inert bomb, then stopping him after he allegedly tried to detonate it by remote control. A previous article discussed him, accessed through the following link:
In fact, like dozens of others, he was maliciously ensnared by an FBI orchestrated sting operation, entrapping him to declare another war on terror victory. Innocence or guilt doesn’t matter, just the illusion that America is now safer when, in fact, each conviction assures greater insecurity, leaving many to wonder who’s next.
Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif (aka Joseph Anthony Davis) and Walli Mujahidh (aka Frederick Dominque) are the latest victims, a June 23 Justice Department press release headlining, “Two Men Charged in Plot to Attack Seattle Military Processing Center – Defendants Sought Firearms and Grenades to Attack Complex where Enlistees Report,” saying:
Arrested on June 22, both men were “charged by criminal complaint with terrorism and firearms related charges….Unbeknownst to the defendants, the weapons were rendered inoperable and posed no risk to the public. (They) initially planned an attack on Joint Base Lewis-McChord, but later changed targets. (They) intended to carry out their attack with both grenades and machine guns.”
Other bogus plots involved surface-to-air and stinger missiles, automatic weapons, bombs and other explosive devices, as well as other heavy firepower beyond the ability of ordinary people to obtain even with help. Yet indictments suggest it’s simple for anyone to get them over the counter or by other means.
According to US Attorney Jenny Durkan:
“The complaint alleges these men intended to carry out a deadly attack against our military where they should be most safe, here at home. This is a sobering reminder of our need to be vigilant and that our first line of defense is the people who live in our community. We were able to disrupt the plot because someone stepped forward and reported it to authorities.”
In fact, according to Seattle Post-Intelligencer writers Levi Pulkkinen and Scott Gutierrez, a convicted felon informant entrapped both men in a plot they may never have conceived without prodding.
However, the storyline goes that both defendants met with the unnamed man, explained the planned attack, then surveilled the recruiting station together. Why three were needed for a one-man job wasn’t explained, other than for help to provide weapons no ordinary person could get.
According to the FBI, Abdul-Latif told the informant he wanted to obtain AK-47 assault rifles, rocket-propelled grenades, other grenades, and bullet proof vests.
The Justice Department indictment said:
“Law enforcement (learned) of the potential threat when a citizen alerted them that he/she had been approached about participating in the attack and supplying firearms to the conspirators. The person then agreed to work with law enforcement, which began monitoring” both men.
Since early June, “the conspirators were captured on (easily manipulated) audio and videotape, discussing a violent assault on the Military Entrance Process Station (MEPS)….where each (military branch) screens and processes enlistees.”
According to Acting Assistant Attorney General for National Security, Todd Hinnen:
“Driven by a violent, extreme ideology, these two young Americans are charged with plotting to murder men and women who were enlisting in the Armed Forces to serve and protect our country.”
Abdul-Latif and Mujahidh are charged with:
— conspiracy to murder US officers and employees;
— conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction (grenades); and
— possession of firearms to commit violent crimes.
If convicted on all charges, both men face up to life in prison. On June 24, they were arraigned in court, then held without bail. On July 7, a preliminary hearing is scheduled after which a trial date will be set.
Abdul-Latif’s wife described him as loving man, saying she didn’t believe her husband could be accused of a terror attack, adding:
“He’s not that type of person. I don’t know if he got involved with bad people or something, but I don’t have any idea. (Investigators) told me they (were) looking for weapons, and I told them I don’t have weapons in this house.”
Calling her husband a good man and good husband, she explained:
“He goes to mosque. He works hard. I don’t have to pay rent. I don’t have to (buy) food. I don’t have to pay (for) clothes. He’s clothing me. He’s housing me.”
Neighbors also expressed surprise, including Mozaia Walton, saying:
“Well, he just seemed like a working guy, like he would come and he would go. His wife was really nice.”
Another neighbor, Janice Ackman, said:
“It’s an absolute surprise. As they say in the media, he’s the last person I would have expected.”
After entrapping victimized targets, the Justice Department disingenuously ends relevant press releases, saying:
“The charges contained in the complaint are only allegations. A person is presumed innocent unless and until he or she is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.”
In fact, prosecutors have already convicted them by accusation, hanging them out to dry for being Muslims in America at the wrong time, imprisoning hundreds of innocent victims of Washington’s war on terror.
On June 24, Los Angeles Times writer Kim Murphy headlined, “Pair accused of plotting Seattle attack,” saying:
“A bankrupt janitor from Seattle who admired Osama bin Laden and a Los Angeles man who said he was going on jihad were accused of plotting (the alleged attack) as vengeance for violence committed against Afghan civilians, describing a storyline straight out of Hollywood, including:
— obtaining automatic weapons, rocket-propelled and other grenades;
— planning to use a truck with a battering ram “that looks like the Titanic;”
— approaching the recruiting center; and
— attacking “anybody wearing green or a badge,” alleged conversations explaining their plan like a screenplay.
A Final Comment
A previous article explained how innocent Muslims are entrapped, accessed through the following link:
It discusses a recent New York University School of Law Center for Human Rights and Global Justice (CHRGJ) report titled, “Targeted and Entrapped: Manufacturing the ‘Homegrown Threat’ in the United States.”
It explains how innocent Muslims have been ruthlessly targeted, paid informants often performing services in return for reduced charges or sentences they face, a powerful incentive why they cooperate.
Several high-profile examples explained the threat all Muslims today face, entrapped for political advantage. Nearly always, Washington invents plots. America’s media headline them. People feel safer, unaware innocent people face spurious charges. The pattern repeats regularly, often strategically timed.
Instead of pursuing criminals, Homeland Security, the FBI and Justice Department prosecutors embrace racist radicalization notions to entrap innocent victims despite no plot or crime except ones they invent. As a result, everyone today is vulnerable when government repressively works against people, not protectively for them.
That’s today’s America, besides wasting the nation’s resources on imperial wars and handouts to corporate predators.
Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also visit his blog site at sjlendman.blogspot.com and listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network Thursdays at 10AM US Central time and Saturdays and Sundays at noon. All programs are archived for easy listening.