Trump at CPAC
by Stephen Lendman
The Conservative Political Action Conference is an annual event, hosted by the American Conservative Union, featuring addresses by notable conservative figures.
In 2011, Trump addressed the conference, again on Friday, using the occasion to blast the dishonest media, saying “we are fighting fake news,” calling media scoundrels “the enemy of the people.”
They “didn’t think we would win,” he said. “The pundits didn’t think we’d win. The consultants that suck up all that money…didn’t think we would win.”
Neither did I and most others, given near one-sided scoundrel media support for Hillary.
Trump went on ad nauseam, blasting the dishonest media proliferating fake news, saying “we have to fight it…”
It’s not about challenging First Amendment rights, he said, “giv(ing) you the right and me the right to criticize fake news and criticize it strongly.”
His address was long on media criticism, standing up for America, defending its borders, wasted military spending while wanting greater budgeted amounts, wanting Obamacare replaced by Trumpcare, claiming he’ll deliver on his promises to the American people.
His remarks were long on red meat for conservatives, short on what America needs most:
- governance serving everyone equitably, not just its privileged few like now;
- ending imperial madness once and for all;
- slashing America’s military budget, closing its global empire of bases, using US resources more for butter than guns at a time the nation’s only enemies are ones it invents;
- rescinding police state laws;
- releasing political prisoners and minor nonviolent offenders;
- putting money power back in public hands where it belongs;
- prosecuting corporate and government offenders to the highest levels, including CIA torturers;
- making big business and high net worth individuals pay their fair share in taxes;
- ending homelessness and hunger in the world’s richest nation;
- providing universal healthcare, assuring everyone has adequate coverage;
- transforming public education into a model for other nations to emulate;
- replacing duopoly rule with real democracy, absent since the nation’s inception.
America needs leadership supporting these and other responsible policies – transforming the country from the world’s leading pariah state to a model for others to emulate.
It’s impossible as long as duopoly governance runs things, serving privileged interests exclusively, waging endless imperial wars, replacing fundamental freedoms with tyranny.
Humanity’s survival depends on revolutionary social, political, economic, military and environmental change. Without it, we’re all doomed.
His new book as editor and contributor is titled “Flashpoint in Ukraine: How the US Drive for Hegemony Risks WW III.”
Listen to cutting-edge discussions with distinguished guests on the Progressive Radio News Hour on the Progressive Radio Network.