No Letup in US War on Venezuelan Social Democracy
by Stephen Lendman (stephenlendman.org – Home – Stephen Lendman)
Model Bolivarian democracy in Venezuela is real — in stark contrast to US/Western fantasy versions.
Dominant US/Western hardliners — hostile to governance of, by and for everyone equitably — pretend otherwise.
Chances for US/Western respect for Venezuelan sovereignty, the rights of its people, and improved relations with its leadership are virtually nil.
It’s been this way since Hugo Chavez transformed Venezuelan governance from US-controlled fascist tyranny to social democracy as it should — what dominant US/Western hardliners consider a threat of a good example.
So since Chavez took office on February 2, 1999, both right wings of the US party waged war on Bolivarian Venezuela, its democratic governance and people with no letup.
They want the country transformed back into a subservient vassal state under pro-Western puppet rule, along with gaining control over its world’s largest oil reserves.
Time and again, coup plots in various forms — to gain another imperial trophy — failed, as follows:
1. The aborted two-day April 2002 attempt to oust Hugo Chavez. Failure to get Venezuelan military support and popular resistance foiled it.
2. The 2002 – 03 general strike and oil management lockout, causing severe economic disruption and billions of dollars in losses.
3. The August 2004 national recall referendum, Hugo Chavez winning overwhelmingly with a 59% majority, thwarting the US-orchestrated attempt to remove him.
4. US sanctions war on Venezuela — begun by Bush/Cheney in 2006 for so-called non-cooperation in combatting international terrorism the US supports.
5. In 2005, Bush/Cheney falsely accused Venezuela of non-cooperation against narco-trafficking the US supports worldwide.
Annually since then, Washington falsely claimed Venezuela hasn’t fulfilled its obligations under international narcotics agreements.
6. In 2008, Bush/Cheney illegally imposed asset freezes and prohibitions on financial transactions, targeting designated Venezuelan nationals and enterprises.
7. The Obama/Biden regime killed Chavez by poisoning or infection with deadly cancer causing substances, a coup by other means to crush Chavismo that remains resilient under Nicolas Maduro’s leadership.
8. In March 2015, Obama/Biden’s executive order falsely designated Venezuela an “unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States,” declaring a fake “national emergency” to confront a nonexistent threat.
9. Intermittent CIA/NED-orchestrated violent street protests were responsible for scores of deaths and hundreds of injuries — US color revolution actions that failed.
10. In August 2017, a CIA-orchestrated terrorist attack on Fort Paramacay in Carabobo state for regime change was foiled.
11. In August 2018, a US attack on Maduro by drones — armed with C-4 explosives with intent to kill him failed.
12. Bush/Cheney, Obama/Biden and Trump’s war on Venezuelan social democracy included political, economic, financial, and other dirty tricks.
They’ve been all about inflicting maximum pain and suffering on Venezuelans to facilitate returning the country to US imperial control.
The Biden/Harris regime continues US dirty war on Venezuelan social democracy and its people like its predecessors — its phony rhetoric pretending a willingness to go another way it opposes.
Last Friday, a US, EU, Canadian joint statement — by hostile-to-democratic governance Blinken, EU foreign policy chief Borrell, and Ottawa’s foreign minister Garneau — masked their diabolical real intentions toward Venezuela.
Defying what already exists under Bolivarian rule, they called for a “comprehensive negotiation process (to) restore (sic) the country’s institutions and allow for all Venezuelans to express themselves politically through credible, inclusive and transparent local, parliamentary, and presidential elections (sic),” adding:
“We call for the unconditional release of” elements used by US regimes to topple its Bolivarian rule Biden regime hardliners falsely called “political” prisoners.
The US-led troika falsely called for restoration of respect for human rights, the rule of law, and other democratic principles featured under Bolivarian rule — in stark contrast to what’s banned by the US-colonized West.
Their joint statement said (illegal) US/Western sanctions on Venezuela will be “review(ed)” (sic) — only if its ruling authorities subordinate the nation’s sovereignty and rights of its people to their interests.
There’s no ambiguity about longstanding US/Western hostility toward democracy as it should be — tolerating it nowhere, especially not domestically.
Chances for dominant US-led Western hardliners turning a page for improved relations with democratically governed Venezuela are virtually nil.
A Final Comment
In stark contrast to hegemon USA and its Western colonies, Russia’s Sergey Lavrov, days earlier, called Venezuela “our reliable and longtime friend in Latin America, the Caribbean and in the international arena in general,” adding:
“We are impressed by the country’s independent and nationally oriented foreign policy based on the UN Charter.”
Russia continues “ to assist the Venezuelan government (and its people) in overcoming pressing challenges” caused by US war on the country by other means.
Defying illegal US sanctions on both countries, their strategic alliance includes “new projects in industry, the energy sector and social services, and we are determined to follow through on them for the benefit of our peoples,” Lavrov explained.
The above stands in sharp contrast to forever US/Western war on humanity by hot and/or other means — a scourge harming the rights of freedom-loving people everywhere.
VISIT MY WEBSITE: stephenlendman.org (Home – Stephen Lendman). Contact at email@example.com.
My two Wall Street books are timely reading:
“How Wall Street Fleeces America: Privatized Banking, Government Collusion, and Class War”
“Banker Occupation: Waging Financial War on Humanity”